Monday, June 29, 2009

Poem Review

A Dream Within A Dream by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

1)Figurative language refers to words, and groups of words, that exaggerate or alter the usual meanings of the component words. The peot uses them by exsggerating the meaning to the reader, thus writting in a unique way for people to understand.
There are many types of figurative language like simile, metaphors, hyperbole and personification.
Like:"Grains of the golden sand--How few! yet how they creep Through my fingers to the deep, While I weep--while I weep!"
This phrase is a hyperbole as the poet describe the sand as the poet exaggerate by saying how it crept in 'my' fingers and also the 'I' weep.
Also: "O God! can I not graspThem with a tighter clasp?O God! can I not saveOne from the pitiless wave?"
The peot is stressing ont the point by repeating 'O God!' This is to catch the reader attention and also exaggerate on the point.
For metaphor: "Grains of the golden sand, Of a surf-tormented shore."
There are many types of metaphor and this is an implied or unstated metaphor.As aAn implied or unstated metaphor is a metaphor not explicitly stated or obvious that compares two things by using adjectives that commonly describe one thing, but are used to describe another comparing the two, thus the poet want to let the reader to understand better by comparing 2 things.

2) Tell us why you like this poem in no less than 100 words.

I like this poem because the poet uses many figurative languages like hyperbole, metaphors and so on.The poet describe very well and it with alot of feeling and emotion as the poet inject his own feeling and emotion into the poem. He also tries to elaborated and stress on the things that he want to exaggerate, thsu trying to capture the reader attention to comprehen the point to understand the peom better and can also understand what is the poet trying to telll them.

No comments:

Post a Comment